Food choices for a better you
Nourishment is Essential…a few simple changes can go a long way to improve your health
Lisa Michelle Miller, BS, NC presented to employees at the AssetMark Chicago Wellness Event about ‘How to Make Food Choices for a Better YOU’. The presentation and supplemental information about cooking fats, serving sizes, serving quantities, healthy blends and related recipes are provided here for your use.
Cooking Fats table
- Oxidation (rancidity) – Forms free radicals which damage tissues, cells, & DNA.
- Oxidation is caused by heat, light and/or contamination of the fats.
- Damage can happen based on the quality of the product, during processing, storage and when it hits your frying pan
- Buy organic when possible to avoid contamination of the fats, especially animal products
- See recommended fats, organized by heat sensitivity, in the table below
Eating for Health Model
Source Bauman college
- Consider the servings of carbs, proteins and fats in the blend to meet your needs
- It’s easy to overload the blender with fruit (and therefore sugar)
- Blends are recommended over juicing for higher fiber and better blood sugar balance
- Basic guidelines for full-meal blend: 15-20 grams of protein (yogurt, nuts and seeds); 2+ servings of vegetables (1-2 cups); 1 serving of fruit (1/2 cup); 1 serving of fats (1-3 Tablespoons); Unlimited booster foods (Herbs and spices)
Diet-Activity Journal template
Tracking is a great way to maintain healthy habits and to understand the effect foods and other lifestyle changes have on your body.
This template provide a sample page and blank pages to print for your personal use.